Technical Service Representatives at Watson Standard provide technical direction and assistance to our customers regarding the use of coatings within customer product lines and facilitates for food and beverage packaging applications. Technical Service Representatives collaborate with internal departments to answer complex questions and concerns, work with multiple application technologies, investigate complaints and assist customers with improving operational quality and efficiency. They develop a complete understanding of the needs and operations of assigned customers and manufacturing sites, and serve as a liaison between customers and Watson Standard’s sales and technical teams.
Knowledge / Skills / Accountabilities
- Utilizes industry and product applications concepts and procedures.
- Understanding of advanced technical (lab, research, etc.) principles and practices.
- Ability to cultivate and maintain relationships, both with customers and internal team members.
- Applies fundamental chemical principles and practices.
- Ability to apply commercial application knowledge to problem solving and developing formulations to best meet customer specifications.
- Operates a variety of laboratory equipment.
- Implements Company safety and housekeeping programs in areas of responsibility and throughout the lab.
- Complies with and performs within the Company’s mission of Innovation, Quality, and Service.
- Must have excellent oral communication skills to interact with coworkers, management and customers. Must be able to clearly communicate complex technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to complete required reports and business correspondence in a timely manner.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from customers and prospective customers. Communicating with co-workers to provide and receive direction.
- Must have strong problem solving skills and good analytical judgment.
- Utilizes safe work practices and procedures in performance of assigned duties.
- Ability to perform extensive travel throughout assigned territory to call on regular and prospective customers in order to solicit orders, attend trials or troubleshoot problems.
Specific Educational / Vocational Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent required with a minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience working in lab environment required OR a bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or related field
- Minimum of two (2) years of Technical Service experience in food and beverage coatings or related field required
- Advanced application and coatings knowledge required
- College-level chemistry and algebra coursework preferred
- Strong written and verbal skills required.
- Must be proficient in MS Office Suite products (Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel).